Saturday, August 28, 2010

Hung this little river stone fish cozy in the mudroom of the Clayoquat Field Station here at the Tofino Botanical Garden.  I learned this pattern from http://resurrectionfern.typepad.com/. I can no longer find the direct link to the free pattern she posted, but it would be worth the hours roaming her site to find again.



 


I put out a few bombs that I brought with me from Cumberland, in various places that I've come to really appreciate over the last few days.  This one is at the Trailhead of Tonquin Park, which is a tucked away little beach reached by trail, boardwalk, and steep stairs down to a sandy beach and sunsets.  I picked up a bunch of little stones last night that will be perfect for making more stonefish cozies.

I also left a shroom bomb at an organic grocery store.  This place is jam packed with food and the casual atmosphere fed some part of me that I didn't realize was hungry. It is one of those places that makes me think: I've got to find a way to come to Tofino more often!

Here it's hidden among all the greenery they have, both for sale and for beauty, right outside the front door of the shop.  They've got potted nasturtiums, tomato plants, calendula, lettuces...and green green green.




The close-up (looking a bit scrumpled, it was a fast dash in, dash out affair):





The next ones are of Titania, my name for the womanesque statue that greets people at the gardens.




The garden here is a coastal rainforest experience, and there are less flowers than anything else.  Here you see what they term the charismatic mega-conifer, nursing trees that, once downed, support the life of thousands of other little creatures, plant and animal.  I added a shroom to the mix, amid all the other little lifelings.




The kid's first yarn bomb was made autonomously and left casually where I would be stunned by the beauty of it on the kitchen table back home.  I packed it up and brought it out to offer to this canine who guards the path to the Field Station. 


It got a bit beat up in transit, when I first laid eyes on it the symmetry was sharp.  Also, I am inspired to think outside the hook and loop box, considering this was made with a daisy chain and winding the yarn around the stone.   Someone unwound and rewound, but took the stone, by the next morning...less than 24 hours.  The stone was a beauty from the Puntledge River in Courtenay.


The fact that the dog is now muzzled adds an ominous air.

Then there's the bear we saw in the childrens' garden!  We came around a corner and there it was...


We got a little closer.



That's the first mask I've made and freeforming it was fun.  That's one of the highlights of yarnbombing - no pattern, hence no right or wrong.  You just make it up as you go, restarting when you need to.


And while I don't want to reveal all the surprises you'll find in this garden, and heck, it would take me weeks to find them all myself, coming around the corner to see this beauty made my day.



No comments:

Post a Comment